Royal Navy patrol HMS Mersey damages Russian warship RFS Boiky as it travels through the English Channel
- HMS Mersey was shocked to follow Russian ship when it passed through Channel
- Navy spokesmen said ships & # 39; worked to secure the & # 39; s maritime security e UK & # 39;
- Royal Navy has damaged Russian ships & # 39; s relations with Moscow are cool
A patrol ship of the Royal Navy damaged a Russian warship when it sailed through the English Channel amid heightened tensions with Moscow.
HMS Mersey was on security patrol then & # 39; t shook it to follow the Coregette of & # 39; Steregushchiy class RFS Boiky, after taking over & # 39; a French Navy.
Perseymouth-based Mersey & # 39; saw every move & # 39; when the corvette was connected to RFS Akademik Pashin, a helper, to refuel and transfer stores.
HMS Mersey (right) was on security patrol when & # 39; t shook it to follow the Coregette from & # 39; the Steregushchiy class RFS Boiky, after taking over & # 39; a French Navy
Lieutenant Commander-in-Chief Mersey Will Edwards-Bannon said: & # 39; Work to improve the & # 39; s maritime security. Keeping the UK always has one of & # 39; highest priority missions of & # 39; e Royal Navy been in our long history.
& # 39; The need to pursue this mission has not changed with the arrival of & # 39; e Covid-19 pandemic, although we live and work in some different ways on board to mitigate the risk of the virus, the fantastic shipping company HMS Mersey continues to work hard to protect the interests of our nation.
& # 39; This work includes the close oversight of foreign warships operating near our coasts, and that is what we have done so far … to this patrol. & # 39;
Perseymouth-based Mersey & # 39; saw every move & # 39; when the corvette was connected to RFS Akademik Pashin, a helper, to refuel and transfer shops
Royal Navy ships (pictured, HMS Mersey) have spotted Russian ships sailing through the Channel when relations between Moscow and London have been cool to their worst since the Cold War
Which ships were in the English Channel?
HMS Mersey –
– A river-class offshore patrol vessel that weighs 1,700 tons, is 260ft long, and sails at 20 knots (37km / h).
– She was built by Vosper Thornycroft in Southampton to serve as a fishery protection vessel in & # 39; the waters of & # 39; e United Kingdom, to replace the five older island class patrol vessels in 2003.
– Secretary of Defense for Defense Harriet Baldwin said Mersey would be fired in 2019.
RFS Boiky –
– A Steregushchiy class corvette that weighs 1,800 tons is 343ft long, and will sail at 27 knots (50km / h).
– The first ship of this kind was commissioned in November 2007. They are designed to intervene with enemy submarines and surface ships.
– An additional order of 10 corvettes was considered in 2019, to be located at Amur Shipyard and commissioned in the & # 39; Pacific Fleet, according to the deputy commander of & # 39; a Pacific Fleet Igor Korolev.
The English Channel separates Great Britain from continental Europe. It is the busiest shipping area in the world, 350 kilometers long and 21 miles wide at its narrowest with northern France.
Despite its name, the Channel is an international waterway. This means that foreign ships are allowed to sail – either from the Atlantic to the North Sea, or vice versa.
Royal Navy ships have tracked down Russian ships that have sailed through the Channel to keep relations between Moscow and London cool to their worst since the Cold War.
The British government accused two Russian GRU operatives of using chemical weapons in Salisbury in 2018.
It claims that Russia has been acting in an aggressive and destabilizing way since the Georgian War in 2008.
In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea in & # 39; Ukraine, and helped the & # 39; civil war. e Ukraine fuel. That conflict began after Euromaidan protests led to the deposition of the then government.
The Russian government has also found itself at loggerheads with the US, Britain, and France in Syria, where it has supported Bashar al-Assad – besides Iranian militias – with air force since 2015. It has been accused by Western forces of attacks of civilian hospitals and sites in rebel-held enclaves of the country.
President Vladimir Putin has lamented the collapse of the USSR, and accused NATO of provoking Russia through its 1991 expansion.
. (tagsToTranslate) dailymail (t) news